Monday, February 28, 2011

Never underestimate the power of Accessories – A look into my cupboard...



So working as a stylist, you have to be mouldable. What I mean by this is you have to chop and change between looks, trends, style, people, colours, textures...pretty much you have to have your head around the whole shebang of what’s happened, what’s going on and what’s going to happen in fashion. Now that I think about it this is probably the reason my mind has little room for anything else...
What I find is that no matter who I am dressing I always have a signature. A vibe that follows anyone I style whether it be in personal styling, runway or editorial. And this signature is ACCESSORIES!  Necklaces, Bracelets, Bangles, Earrings, Rings, Brooches, Scarfs, Hats, Head Pieces, Belts, Shoes, Socks, Bags....DROOLING WHILST WRITING... I’m the type of person who will spend all my pay check on that YSL ring, who has worked styling jobs for payment in necklace form, who was nicknamed ‘the Christmas Tree’, who has had passer-byers yell out to me “hey, Mr T” numerous times (and thats CLEARLY because I wear alot of jewlery not because I am a black man, with a killer mohawk and throws snicker bars at everyone). Accessories make or break and outfit. They have the power to turn an outfit from gothic chic to ghetto fabulous, just depending on how you mix it. This entry isn’t going to be a lesson in style or anything it’s just me opening up part of my wardrobe to you.
So enjoy my favourite pieces!
Silverwear....

Perspex necklace I got from the Peeptoe warehouse sale. It was all broken and I paid for 5 bucks and re-glued it all together when I got home. When you have a vision just DIY it.
Crystals and hammered silver, always a good combo. A one off piece from China town, Sydney.

Ohmy goldness...

Dino - Resin and gold perspex, great statement piece.


This necklace I got from Asos and it reminds me of a hairstyle that little black girls in new york would have while skipping rope.



More is totes appropes when it comes to rings.


A mixture of Dino, Sportsgirl and House of Harlow


More is better, right? I love my Dino sun, mixed with glass rings from Sportsgirl.


Sportsgirl rings. Great selection for only $19.95.

If that wasn't a plug, I don't know what is! But for real, you can get high-end looking accessories for such achieveable price points if you just look around.


More Sportsgirl rings.
 Love my bull.


I always need a necklace but when my clothes are quite dramatic pendents are the go.

Bangle mania!
Check out the intricate feather detail. Everything from Dino is one off as it's hand crafted.





My Pamela Love claw comes with me everywhere...



And the one and only silver hoops, essential for any latina.

xo peeps

*Shot by Daniel D Boland

No comments:

Post a Comment